Creating an island out of salt dough is messy, sticky and dirty... in other words loads of fun! This salt dough recipe was so easy that the kids did everything without help from mom. Try designing and building your own with this salt dough island recipe.
- Slowly combine all ingredients. Mixing by hand is lots of fun!
- Once combined, place in a pie pan and mold into the shape of your island. We spray painted our pie pans before so they would give the impression of water.
- Place in oven heated to 225 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Check at the end of 10 minutes. If the island is not dry enough to paint (some bulky spots will take longer to dry), bake for another 10 minutes. Keep adding 10 minute increments until dry. Be careful to not cook too long, as the dough will start browning.
- Once dry, the island is ready to paint.
We added rocks and moss to our islands and a few shallows. The kids had a lot of fun creating their salt dough islands as a part of their Nim's Island Book Club.
Share this Recipe
Leave a Reply