Recently, my youngest asked to make a change to her science curriculum. Because I’m trying to raise independent learners, we started researching new classes and curricula that she would like. Her interests kept migrating toward coding classes. So when we discovered MYTEK LAB’s online technology classes, we decided to give it a try.
What is MYTEK LAB?
MYTEK LAB is the brainchild of Stephen and Jacky Souders. They saw that there was a need for quality online technology classes. With their backgrounds in education and computer science, they created a virtual lab that offers live online technology courses for grades 3rd-12th. You can choose from dozens of weekly lessons on specialized beginner to advanced topics.
What courses does MYTEK LAB offer?
MYTEK LAB is set up like a traditional curriculum with semester and year-long courses. The classes are live and recorded for students who can’t make it to the class or who want a refresher. We came in late to the semester so my daughter spent the majority of her time with the recorded sessions. This didn’t seem to hinder her at all as there were plenty of opportunities to receive feedback from the instructors.
We chose the TEKnology Lab level 1 for high school. In this course, my daughter is learning things like computer fundamentals, 2D Game Art I, programming, 3D modeling for games, VR Development, Web Design, Robotics, and 3D Modeling for 3D Printing. Some other options available are:
- TEKnology Lab level 2, 3 and 4
- Software Engineering
- 3D Modeling and Animation
- Classes for high school credit
- Classes for elementary and middle school
The Teen Review of MYTEK LAB’s Online Technology Classes
When the youngest told me she wanted to learn about coding, I was a little surprised. I knew she liked gaming, but this was another level. So, I asked her what she wanted to learn. For her, it wasn’t a specific skill she wanted to learn. She just wanted to know more about the technology that made up her favorite pastime.
Here is her review of the technology classes, including her pros and cons:
- She doesn’t have any cons – So, I mislead you a little there, but in my defense, I DID ask her what she didn’t like about the classes and she came back with an honest answer of “not really anything.” Now, if you have a teenager, you know how significant that is. But, let’s keep going.
- Interesting lessons – The lessons are varied and keep her interested in the topics though there are topics she likes more than others.
- Videos are good at showing you what to do. They aren’t confusing like so many technology courses can be.
- Learning about IP addresses was interesting – This lesson she really enjoyed. It was fascinating to her to be able to trace back and see where a particular IP address originated.
- Creating blocks in a game with Pixel Art was fun – The thought of creating a block in her favorite game was pretty cool. Even though she says she doesn’t really want to learn how to code an entire game, she liked learning how it was done and it made the game more fun.
The Parent Review of MYTEK LAB’s Online Technology Classes
I’ll be honest. I’m not all that tech-savvy.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I know more than the average middle-aged gal due to publishing a blog, but I wouldn’t consider myself a technology guru or even close. The truth is that I’m not that interested in learning about technology. I like for it to do what I want it to do and usually, my brain starts feeling melty when I have to figure out why it doesn’t.
But I do appreciate a course that keeps a teenager interested and helps her to learn. So, after seeing the classes in the “real world of homeschooling,” here’s what I like about MYTEK LAB:
- It helps students develop critical thinking. By giving them the tools to understand how and why technology works, they can consider solutions to problems that may have never occurred to them before.
- It encourages creativity. Watching my daughter get excited about creating a tiny block that could become a part of a sophisticated game, made me realize how much creativity it takes to design a game or any software.
- It requires zero preparation time for me. Everything my daughter needs is on her laptop, so I don’t have to hunt down a bunch of materials.
- It’s reasonably priced for a live class with an instructor. Teaching science is something I’m familiar with outsourcing and at $49 a month, MYTEK LAB is a viable option. I’ll gladly pay $12 a class for an expert to teach my student.
- The courses are high school level and count for a semester or more of science credit. With two teens in our homeschool, I’m constantly making sure they have what they need for graduation and for their future pursuits. These classes are perfect for covering our science credit this year.
Get Started with Online Technology Courses!
To get started, just sign up for an account. Then all you need to do is pick out the course. It’s really just that simple. As always, let me know what you think!
Hi, I’m Dachelle. I’m a homeschooling mom of 3 in the South. I love chocolate and have been known to hide it from my children. I can often be found reading a good book (or even sometimes just an okay book) and enjoying a jar of Nutella — don’t judge. I blog, here, at HideTheChocolate.com when I’m not creating book clubs and making lists…lots and lots of lists (it’s an addiction). Learn more…